Wednesday 20 April 2011

Be careful what you tell people!


It came as a surprise to me. It was rather a hard slap right across the face..!!

The incident was this.. a lady colleague of mine (with all due respect to her) was standing very close to the entrance of the washroom. I entered and I almost hit her. As casual as it could sound, I asked her, "Why are you standing right next to the door"?

And the reaction..?? she was wild..!! For what, why, when, how.. well, I was flabbergasted! Left it there, but then over the days her responses to my smile were a little strange and cold..!! My astonishment reduced not a teenzy bit!

I met her at the cafe this afternoon and there of course, courtsey had to come into play.. so ventured and asked.. "Are you alright now?"

Spat came the reply.. "That was such a STUPID thing that you asked. You were such a "Loose" (Translate in tamil and this'll make sense)

Got all the abuses that I could possibly get from a colleague. I still am as stunned as I was a couple of days back.

And the worst part -  I felt a little bad too. Maybe the way she said it, the place, her irritation and hatred fully shown in her face.. everything put together was a very awkward situation. And I still am clueless as where things went wrong!

What I have learnt from the incident is this:

  • Not everyone takes things lightly; when you have those doubts, keep conversations official!
  • It isn't a rule that everyone should like you; Possibilities are plenty that you may be hated, and this may come out in the strangest of ways. Deal with it!
  • Loads of what people say would probably hurt you. You are human, it's bound to happen. Try and reduce the time period for which you are thinking or sulking about it. Move on!
  • Do not get into all these verbal conflicts. Smile, and this is the best answer to anything not right. Office Politics is a crime!
  • And above all, do not take decisions or spat out something when you're irritated. Relax, Calm down and think. Don't be a loser in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment