Monday 5 September 2011

Goosebumps! The Phenomenon called 'CHANGE'

...and I mean it in the literal sense. What scared me? Well, CHANGE!

We shifted office premises. That was the change. It's simple to put it in one word but the learning that came with it was magnanimous.

When I joined this company, I was a wee-bit surprised, to be honest. The office wasn't located in a posh area, or in an IT Park where one's dress determines if you belong there or not, or in a very tall building with a very big sign-board.  The place was secluded, confined and wasn't anywhere on the main roads. This was very much one of the IT companies but with a very unique culture and where the employee is the boss!

And then came the change. So what changed? Everything.. I'm now part of the 'IT park' culture, I have a new laptop, more space around my work station, it's well lit, the place is huge and the smell of everything "new" still lingers around.

The first day was different. I was so used to the other place, that this was as if I was left out in the open.  Wandering, Exploring and without direction, I was getting acquainted! (Oh! and I still get lost while looking for my seat location!) So, how differently am I doing things now?

  • I depend on the public transport for my commuting. Earlier, it was my two-wheeler and myself.
  • I have a new laptop. I'm still playing with it!
  • I'm learning to deal with sitting right under the AC vent and trying to make myself comfortable. (I get goosebumbs :( )
  • I get to meet loads of people. Not just my company, but outsiders too. After all, this is an IT Park!
I can go on...

But then, the real question is: How has this changed me as an individual? Does this change have a positive effect on me?

Well, for one, my outlook is probably broader? It's no longer the frog-in-the-well attitude. More people, more opinions, more ideas... so all leading to better quality of work, and of course better learning!

Change is scary, but as I understand, it's important and it's required. And as for me, I'm all set to learn.

Should change have an impact on the individual? That's debatable. What do you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment